In The Courier this week
Tayla Clark of Hallet Cove with her friend’s dog Lola at the opening of Mt Barker’s new dog park on Sunday. The $80,000 Zanker Drive facility was officially opened with a Bark in the Park party that drew more than 500 owners and their pets. Hundreds of dogs enjoyed a day out to climb, romp and chase their way around a ‘pawfect’ new playground built just for them.
Coach in court
Echunga’s A-grade football coach stands accused of siphoning nearly $2000 from an Education Department Indigenous program to his club.
Lindsay Raymond Bassani, pictured, appeared in the Adelaide Magistrates Court on Monday facing six counts of abuse of public office and four counts of dishonestly dealing with documents, allegedly involving a total fraud of $11,855.
The charges follow an inquiry by the Independent Commissioner Against Corruption (ICAC) into Bassani’s actions while the Semaphore Park man was the manager of the SA Aboriginal Sports Training Academy.
ICAC referred its investigation to the Director of Public Prosecutions which charged Bassani in June.
Also in this week’s issue
- Rental property glut: The building boom in the Mt Barker district is producing a “glut” of investment-style home rentals, a local property management company claims.
- Flag to fly: The rainbow flag – a symbol of gay acceptance – will fly at Alexandrina Council chambers despite opposition from nearly half of the district’s elected members.
- Development shock: The size and scale of a retail and housing development planned for the entrance to Strathalbyn has shocked the town’s Mayor.
- Employment: Bidding for jobs and competing with robots – this is the future of employment, according to Birdwood High School principal Steve Hicks who is concerned schools are preparing students for jobs which will soon no longer exist.
- Emergency GP: The State Government has not ruled out improving after hours emergency health care services at the Mt Barker hospital.
To read complete articles, buy a copy of The Courier here, order home delivery here, or buy the digital edition here.