In The Courier this week
Ulrike Klein celebrates the opening of the new Ngeringa Cultural Centre near Mt Barker Springs, which was designed by Aldgate architect Anton Johnson.
We need a local detox clinic: lawyer
The Hills “desperately” needs its own drug detox clinic and other rehabilitation services to treat an escalating ice addiction problem in the region, according to Mt Barker-based legal firm Von Doussas.
Lawyer Dan Cregan told a community information forum about ice, held in Mt Barker last week, that the highly concentrated form of methamphetamine was a debilitating factor in the lives or the family life of as many as “one in three” of Von Doussas’ clients – and the firm didn’t know where to send them for help.
“We desperately need a comprehensive local ice rehabilitation service,” Mr Cregan said after the forum.
“It is unrealistic to expect ice users to travel to Adelaide several times a week to access the full range of rehab services.
Also in this week’s issue
- Showtime: Shirley Barker and her two-year-old Charolais bull, Jack, will be among the 33,000 entries – ranging from canaries to cakes – to be showcased at this year’s event which starts on Friday.
- Community hub: A new community hub incorporating a museum, men’s shed, dining and conference facilities, bar and offices could be built in a major overhaul of the Mt Barker Showground.
- Lucky escape: A faulty wood heater that nearly caused the accidental deaths of four Lobethal children from carbon monoxide poisoning has prompted warnings for Hills residents to check the safety of their heating appliances.
- Leadership award: Developing positive relationships and trust among all facets of the school community has always been a priority for Norton Summit Primary principal Julie Mattiske.
- Dry winter relief: Bureau of Meteorology senior climatologist Darren Ray said gardens were set for a soaking this month as a significant rainfall event is on the horizon.
- To read complete articles, buy a copy of The Courier here, order home delivery here, or buy the digital edition here.